Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a wall outlet that has 220v 3phase in a 3 wire setup.

I need to change it...
I have a wall outlet that has 220v 3phase in a 3 wire setup. I need to change it to a 3wire single phase setup
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I hope so
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I do not think so
10/15/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can help you

Does this 3 wire setup include a grounding wire?

no

Ok, so 3 phase wires only. Ok, what single phase receptacle did you want to install?

or do you need to know that also?

What amperage is the circuit and do you want to downgrade that?

no thanks

no thanks to what?

to the phone call

oh ok. That was an automated system thing. You don't have to reply to me about it.

ok, so. I just need those questions answered and we can move on

its a 10 amp lathe

Do you know the rating of the existing 3 phase circuit?

the plug i put on is rated 120/250 three prong
it has a 20 amp fuse

OK, so you will need to take one of the hot legs in the breaker panel and put it on the neutral bar. You will need to remark that one with white tape at both ends and at any junction box in between.

You should replace the 3 pole breaker with a 2-pole breaker

I can replace the breaker , but that hot wire thing I better hire someone

Do you need to know what receptacle to get to match the plug you have?

I put in a 3 hole receptacle that matches the plug but what do i do with 3 hot wires and no ground?

Like I said, you will need to convert one of the hot wires coming from the breaker to a neutral (or a ground if your lathe doesn't need a neutral).

ok Thanks for your help

If your lathe does actually need a neutral then you really should have a 4 wire plug and receptacle. You can then use the metal conduit for a grounding path - running a jumper wire to the receptacle from the receptacle box.

Glad to help. please don't forget to rate my answer before logging off so I can get credit for answering it

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician