Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Question on wiring GFCI outlet... Late 80's...and no. Outlet

Customer Question
Hi there JA: Hello. How can...
Hi there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Question on wiring GFCI outlet...
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Late 80's...and no
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: outlet is under the sink...bottom outlet goes to switch on the wall
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/13/2017
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 1 month ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome to justanswer.com

How can I help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to make sure I am wiring this GFCI outlet correctly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The existing outlet had a black, white, red and ground
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lower outlet goes to a switch on the wall
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Basically my question is, does the red wire go in the load area on the gold screw?

Was there a GFCI here before?

If not and you have a shared neutral (which is what you seem to be describing ) a GFCI will not work.

Can you upload a picture of the wiring?

Thank you

Hot wires from source go on LINE Terminals, Black to Black or Line or Hot and White to White or Silver Screw.

Load wires (eires going to downstream loads) go to LOAD

Black to Black, White to White

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was GFCI, regular outlet with two gold screws, two silver, and a ground.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was wired with black wire to gold, white wire to silver, and red to gold. I'm assuming the red goes to the switch on the wall?

I will opt out, good luck with your project

Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 1 month ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, you cannot use a GFCI receptacle and have half of it switched. The lower half outlet of the GFCI is the load of the GFCI

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician