Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I plugged in a coin operated washing machine that the coin…

Customer Question
I plugged in a...

I plugged in a coin operated washing machine that the coin box had been removed and as soon as I did I lost all power except one light. What could of happened

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

3 or 4 days. I've tested all connection in breaker box and says I got power but I got nothing

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Of course unless it's something I can can't handle

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
10/7/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 10 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the receptacle a 120 volt receptacle? If so, have you tried plugging in a lamp or a portable radio into the receptacle to confirm if it has power?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to check voltage at the receptacle?

It's not just one plug in its my whole house almost. A few plug ins work but thats it. I had a battary charger plugged in when it happened. Yes I have a voltage meter

OK, thanks for confirming.

1) You will need to remove the door from the electrical panel. Set your meter to the AC voltage setting @ 300 volts and measure across the 2 hot phases at the main circuit breaker. Can you measure approx 240 volts?

2) Next step is to leave the main breaker in the ON position and reset the meter setting to the 200 volt range. Place 1 meter probe to the neutral bus bar (where the white neutral wires are terminated) and the 2nd meter probe to 1 of the hot phases at the main breaker. Can you measure approx 120 volts? Next is to move the meter lead over to the other hot wire phase on the main breaker and measure for approx 120 volts.

Let me know the results and we can continue..........Thanks..........Kevin

1) What were the voltage measurements?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?