Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

A question. i have a hunter fan (it's about 16 years old)

Customer Question
A question. i...

A question. i have a hunter fan (it's about 16 years old) and has worked very, very well until recently when i dropped the remote. i heard some pieces inside the remote itself when i opened it. when i tried to turn the fan on it didn't work. i then turned on the fan by a light switch and it worked. when i tried to turn it on again by the light switch before retiring to bed it didn't work. i tried the remote again and again and the light switch and no luck. i pulled the chains to see if i could get it activated and again nothing.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

One day. happened yesterday morning. can i buy another remote? a universal one? not sure how to make it talk to the fan itself.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can't - no way. i'd have to hire someone.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's it. I've considered either fixing it with a new remote (if that'll work) or just buying a new fan.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
10/5/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 10 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello, you can buy a new remote and receiver but you would hace to get inside the wiring area of the fan at the ceiling canopy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EWTLKT0/ref=pd_aw_lpo_60_bs_img_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EST2AZQG18FG305ZF9GA
You would want to first cobfirm that the old receiver is a two wire in/ two wire out. They are usually located in the ceiling canopy of the fan