Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a single phase 30 amp 120 volt standard connector on…

Customer Question
I have a single phase...
I have a single phase 30 amp 120 volt standard connector on my RV.
The hydro pedestal is 200 feet from my RV.
I need a over the ground, extension cord
Preferably at 100 feet lengths times two to make 200 feet .What gauge of cable should I purchase and if possible how did you do the calculations please
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
10/4/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Ok
If you have suggestions on where to purchase is also appreciated

You'll need a #4 copper wire to not exceed 3% Voltage Drop.

What is the difference btwn copper vs aluminum? Should I consider aluminum too?

Aluminum wire will.need to be larger and you wouldn't find it in an extension cord It would be a SEU cable

The calculation was done on a VD CALCULATOR.

But #4 aluminum or copper do the same job right?

In Aluminum you'll need a #2 conductor. Either size wire won't fit a plug or cord cap. You can splice a smaller wire #10 copper at the ends of the run.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician