Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My circuit breaker was buzzing, so I pushed the test button.

Hello. My circuit breaker was...
Hello. My circuit breaker was buzzing, so I pushed the test button. This switched all the sockets off in my house but left all the lights on. When I flipped the breaker switch back, al the sockets came on again as normal. Is it an issue that the lights weren’t tripped?
10/3/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello, it is likely your lights are on another circuit breaker. Did the buzzing go away after you reset it?
the buzzing has stopped. I just wondered if it was safe having the lights on a circuit that won’t trip when the test button is pressed. Is that normal?
There is no other breaker board in the house.
Ok I must have misunderstood what you meant when you said "test button". I assumed you meant a yellow or blue test button on an individual vrwaker in the panel.
breaker
That’s right. There’s an individual breaker with a yellow test button on it. The manufacturer is Qline. I’m in the UK if that matters.
Usually a lighting circuit isn't on a protected ground fault circuit breaker like that. The lights would be on a different thermal breaker
It's perfectly safe
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
However if that buzzing returns I would investigate the cause of that
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician