Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I took down a ceiling light in our double wide trailer

Customer Question
kitchen. I put it back...
I took down a ceiling light in our double wide trailer kitchen. I put it back together with a new one (wrong obviously) and everything works accept the water pump now. There are 3 standard white and black wires and one white black and red. The blacks are all tied together already and the whites are all out now with the red. Seems to be only one hot white. What's going wrong?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
10/3/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The norm would been to connect as follows.

1. All blacks together.
  2. All whites together with the fixture white
  3. Red wire connected to the fixture black.
I had done that, and now the water pump isn't on, I checked the breakers and all. And it was working before all this.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Not handy, we just moved and haven't gotten our stuff.

You need to open the panel and test all breakers to neutral, to verify they're on. Next test the connection on the pump. Hot to neutral, hot to ground. Let me know the results. NEED TO TEST, NOT GUESS.

I checked all the breakers and they all read around 120. I'm trying to look up where the pump is.
I can't locate the pump, but to be honest I don't see how it could be that. But that would be pretty coincidental for the pump to go bad at the same time that I was messing with these wires. Assuming the pump is good and all the breakers are good how can we move forward from there.?

The reason for testing at the pump is to find out what is missing a hot or a neutral. If the voltage is present it would say the issue is the pump. If there isn't voltage, identification of the circuit would be necessary to continue.

One more thing. If when working on the fixture installation you made connections on wires that were twisted previously, you should have restripped them to avoid a wire break in the wirenut.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician