Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Do you have a PDF wiring diagram for Model 1227-(T) Series…

Customer Question
Do you have a...

Do you have a PDF wiring diagram for Model 1227-(T) Series Portable Luminaire?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I don't know because it's my daughters Desk Lamp.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The lamp fell and broke the upper "arm". I've repaired the broken arm with a metal sleeve, but the pictures that I took before I disassembled the lamp are not the best. Hence I need a wiring diagram.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical

I've posted my question about receiving a wiring diagram for a Hampton Bay Desk Lamp, Model 1227-(T) Series.
1.) Have you received my message?
2.) When can I expect and answer?
Please respond to my questions by Email to ********************* I'm new to this web site and unfamiliar with how and when I can expect you to respond. ??? Gary

10/1/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 8 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can't find a diagram but we should be able to get it back up and going. Unfortunately it is against Just Answer policy to exchange personal contact information without first agreeing to a premium service offer.

What wires do you have in the lamp?

I can't use Skype or FaceTime because our bandwidth here in the RV Park is limited.
Can I send pictures? What address should I use?
Gary
The 4 wires coming from the lamp head are: two (2) red and two (2) yellow.
The 4 wires coming from a plastic junction box(?) are two (2) red and two (2) white.
I know that one of the yellow wires coming from the lamp head connects to one of the white wires in the base, that goes into the "junction box". I did mark them with a black "Sharpie" pen.
You can upload pictures here if you like.
From what I saw when I looked up this lamp is that it is a touch lamp correct?
it is a Touch (turn on/turn off) Lamp.
BTW ... I'm not real comfortable using your sending/receiving format. When we type back & forth, is there a time delay?
Am I waiting for you to answer?

I'm here, just couldn't get back to answer right away

If you like, you can host pics on imgur or something and send the links

I can tell you from your description so far is that the yellow wires are the neutrals (normally white) that is why one is connected tot he white. Also that "junction box" is the touch controller

There shouldn't be much of a time delay no

I'm at my PC now so it should be quicker

I don't know what you mean by "imgur"?

or you can upload them here using the paperclip icon

I usual use my Picasa Photo File to send pix. Somehow I can seem to do that.
Where is the paper clip icon? I'm not seeing it.

Should be around the text input box somewhere

No paper clip icon on my screen.

on your touch controller is there a red that goes with the white that is connected to the yellow wire?

Sorry, Sam. I think I need an Email address to send the 4 pix so you can see the 4 (two yellow and two red) wires coming from the lamp head AND the 4 wires (two white AND two red) in the base.

The way those work is there is a power in from the lamp cord (a red and white set) and a switched power out to the lights - another red and white set. So if yellow is already connected to one of the whites from the controller you know that set is the light load (goes to the lampholders)

I had 4 connections that I cut off. Each connection had two wires. But I don't know which two wires. ???

all the lampholder wires will go together to the one set of red and whites. All yellows go to the one white that already has a yellow on it. All the reds will connect to that white wire's companion red

What I see .... and did not cut or disturb ... is the 120VAC wires come into the lamp base as two blacks. they go into some connections that are shrink wrapped (sealed) and the they change color and go into the opposite of the plastic box. Where the 4 wires exit the plastic box, are the 4 wires ... two red and two white ... and some combination should connect to the two yellow and two reds going to lampholder.

oh ok, I thought you meant there were 4 wires total coming from the plastic box. That changes things. Is there a grouping of red and white where you would think a red and white make an obvious set?

Are there any marking on the wires or on the box that say "T1", "T2" or any other kind of marking or label?

From that "sealed"/shrink wrapped junction, there are two wires that go to a female receptacle in the base that probably has nothing to do with my problem of connecting the total of 8 wires.

ok, it sounds like you should just connect one yellow to one of the whites. Leave the other yellow connected to the white it is already on. Connect one lamp red to one of the controller reds and the other lamp red to the other controller red. plug in and test

No T1 or T2 on the box or wires.
Is there a diagram on some web site that shows in a drawing how this lamp is wired?If I hook it up incorrectly do I have
1.) a dangerous condition,
2.) a direct short? or
3.) ruin the lamp components?
If I could send you the pix, I think you could better understand all of the wires.

I have not located a diagram probably because it is just a simple lampholder circuit. Any diagram would be for the controller/sensor. Hooking it up incorrectly would at the worst case cause your lampholder shell to be the hot part instead of the lampholder center pin. But since you know a controller white was connected to the lamp yellow already we know that the yellows are the lampholder shell so this won't be a problem.

Sorry, Sam.
While I appreciate our conversations, I don't think your attempt to help me is giving me the information I need to solve my problem .How do I get my money back and not owe additional monthly fees?

I just told you what to hook up. It's simple lamp

Take up your issue with customer service. Good luck

I know what you told me, but my understanding of what you said does not make it clear about what I should do.
Sorry if I've wasted your time.
Gary