Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I’m replacing a light switch with a WiFi Oittm switch. My…

I’m replacing a light...

I’m replacing a light switch with a WiFi Oittm switch. My old switch has 4 wires. Black, red, white and ground. I plugged black to Live, Red to Out, white to N and ground to ground. This is not working to turn light on. It is part of a 2 switch , one light setup (upstairs and downstairs switches). I’m only replacing one switch.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About an hour

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that’s all

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can help you. I will check the specs on that switch and get right back with you. Do you happen to know the model number of the switch?

Oittm WT01 Smart touch switch

ok thank you.

Alright, I found your problem when I looked up the specs on the switch. This is what I found:

Note:
1. Oittm Smart Switch replaces single pole switches only. Not compatible with 3-way switches, which could be controlled from multiple locations.

YOu will need to find a different smart switch that can work with a 3 way switch. Also most smart switches need a neutral wire and it sounds like you don't have one.

Is the white wire not neutral?

Not in the case of a 3-way switch. It is part of the switching circuit.

Used as a hot wire

Are there any other wires in the box? What about the wiring at the other switch location?

The other switch has same wiring.red, black, white

ok so in order to run a smart switch from either of those two switch locations you would need to have a neutral wire run. From your description of the wiring t the boxes, it sounds like the power enters at the light fixture box so that is likely where a new wire would have to come from.

Ok, thank you.

I wish it was better news for you. If that answers your question, please don't forget to rate my answer before logging off so I can receive credit for answering

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician