Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Is it permissable to connect a ground wire to the phase

Customer Question
Is it permissable to...

Is it permissable to connect a ground wire to the phase neutral line in an outlet box?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just now, having a shop rewired. Had to move the input from one side to the other.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only what is legal for me to do.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The shop had been wired by an electrician, with some jury rigged additions. I have worked for 30+ years as a production line mechanic and have picked up some knowledge of safe practice wiring.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Not yet, my basic question is (under the present codes) it permissable to connect the ground and phase neutral in an outlet box.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/30/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Absolutely NO. Doing so is a code violation and isn't safe.

That is what I thought and why I checked. Thanks for the answer.

Anytime you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician