Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a faint burning smell in my bedroom that I can't

Customer Question
Hi There - I have...
Hi There - I have a faint burning smell in my bedroom that I can't locate where it's coming from. I thought it was the fan motor and had an electrician come out check the switches and outlets and he said they were all fine and put a new fan in. The smell comes and goes and is usually only in 1 or two spots. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What do you have on when the smell is apparent?

It really varies, I thought initially the fan switch but even when the fan switch is off still comes and goes.
I'm concerned it's a burned wire somewhere in the wall/floor but have no idea how to locate it.

Remove the cover plates and see if you can isolate where it is most prevelent.

Most likely at a device, not in the wall.

Hi Mike - already have done that yesterday and cannot locate. Been in the attic and no smell there. Iv'e smelled all the outlets walls, lamps, fan and cannot locate. It's very very strange and it will come and go. Seems to be more prevalent at night and early morning....
I don't know guess I'll unplug everything and see - the fan is brand new so I assume that is out.....
If it's not a device would someone need to come out and cut open walls etc...?
still smells with devices unplugged

If any devices have wires connected in the push back and not under screws that could be the source of the arcing and either the device or the wire may be melting. Open all devices and check the connections

okay going now...thanks

Let me know how you make out.

Hi Mike - okay I'm back checked devices seem to be okay. I cut the power to the room and there was no smell. Then I switched on the switch for the ceiling fan (that is brand new) and the smell returned.....

Check the fan connections. The fan wires aren't stripped long enough when made and could be arcing. They should lead the house wires into the wirenut.

I had an electrician here yesterday install the fan so I assume that it was done right? The smell was happening with the old fan as well. I believe the wire might run from the switch through our attic as well and might be a mouse chew? Is there a way to test or a way for electrician to know?
HI Mike - also just noticed when I turn the fan switch on the light does a quick flash even though it's in the off position - is this of any significance?

Is the fan and light on one switch?

but the light on the fan is turned in the off position so i should not come on at all when the switch is flipped

Check all connection in the fan. Makes sure the fan leads are longer than the house wire strips. Pull on the wires while holding the wirenuts.

Okay will do - had same problem now I think with the old fan - just installed new one yesterday. Seems strange but as the electrician installed. but i'll take a look

Very good.

Mike - this is going to take me sometime so if that is not it then what is the next step?

Unless you have recently hung a picture with a large nail, it has to be a connection problem. I disregardice chewing as the problem. Might be squrrils but I'm sure you would have heard them if in the crawl space. When critters chew on cable you will short the circuit and trip a breaker.

Hi Mike - all connections are perfect according to electrician who just came over. he thought it may be the old remote receiver in there, installed a brand new one and still has burning smell. he said maybe not the fan although it only smells when the fan is on

Remove the light kit. 3 screws on bottom of motor. Check connections from fan to light kit and connection on light kit lamp holders.

All good there - no black spots seems to be in order....I did run the fan for pry 20 min. and after the base was very hot to the touch...could it be a dude new fan?

That has to be the problem. Return it for a replacement.

You think a coincidence that both the old fan (10 year old) and new fan gave off the same burning smell?

Not likely. That says it is elsewhere. Having check the outlets and the fan connections the only thing left is the wiring. With the fan removed and the switches on can you still get the smell?

with the fan off and switch on I don't notice the smell but could be b/c fan isn't blowing it around. I'll test tonight with fan off and switch on

If you can get up close to smell the ceiling box.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician