Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

3 switch wall outlet 2 work 1 doesnt. A while

Customer Question
3 switch wall outlet...

3 switch wall outlet 2 work 1 doesnt

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A while

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 10 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What does the switch control? How many wires on the switch?

black
& white and a ground
outside patio light, fan fan light

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

i do .... and theres the first problem, when i test it on an outlet it works...110v
but when i test it on one of the switches that work (lights on) it doesn't light up

You need a 2 wire tester not a non contact tester. I need for you to verify both the hot and neutral.

any ideas?
multi meter?
lets do that

Test the wires on the switch to ground.

You need to authorize the call.

amex called me,resubmit the charge

Stand by for resubmittal.

forget the whole thing, thanks