Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am looking for a single phase 125amp 8 circuit nema 3R…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for a single phase 125amp 8 circuit nema 3R panel with an integral main breaker. Any brand will do. Do you know any part numbers for one?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

1 day.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Needs to be suitable as service equipment.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/28/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Ok.

Home Depot has a GE 125A 3R 12 space Main Breaker Panel.

Do you have a number? I already checked on that one. Only one in stock. Another one they sold was sent to a customer used & broken. I checked with GE and they supposedly make an MLO that's convertible, but when you open the box it had no cover cut out in the cover, even though the the picture showed one. Checked 2 boxes. Same deal. Looking for other manufacturers for an alternative.

The Home Depot online didn't show a number. Unusual

Is there a reason for not upgrading to 150 or 200Amp?

Kind of overkill. There's probably only 10 or 20 amps of load on the pre-existing one. I may end up having to do that if I get desperate enough.

The 125A requirement limits what is available. Never put one in, in 48 yrs. 100, 150 & 200A generally used.

Check on Amazon. Square D 125A 3R found.

Thanks Mike. I'll check there. Most manufacturers are going to 125 amps as the minimum size now in the last 3 or 4 years. Most equipment is easier to get 125 amp instead of the 100amp min. which the code still requires. I still need to go back and find out the reason. I think the 150amp is going to fade away and it will just be 125 amp or the 200 amp.
Thanks for your help.

Anytime, you're welcome. Good Luck.

If you only have maximum of 6 circuits you can install a 125A main lug panel in compliance with code.

I have 7, thanks.(:

put 2 circuits on a 2 pole breaker to reduce the handles to 6.

Thanks Mike. Really appreciate your help. I just ordered the GE's you recommended at Home Depot online. I don't know what I'll get, but hopefully it will work out. Have a good weekend! Gary Piper, Blue Star Electric.

Anytime, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician