Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My hunter ceiling fan doesn't work. it was installed about…

Customer Question
My hunter ceiling fan...

My hunter ceiling fan doesn't work. it was installed about two months ago.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A couple of days. the last time I had it on was about a week ago without problems. I turned it off and when I went to turn it on again it didn't turn on However, I was playing with it just a couple of hours ago ready to take it about, and it started but the fans turned very slowly.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was thinking of it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well now it doesn't work It is not the remote as I switch the remotes around, I have the same fan at the other bedroom so I switch remotes and both work on the other fan

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/28/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 7 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

I​f you got it to turn a little bit it sounds like a couple of probabilities. 1st thing to verify is you have 120v coming into the ceiling box. Just because the fan turns a little bit does not guarantee 120v, you might only have 90v which is not sufficient to run the fan. You can verify this by using a voltage tester on the colored wire connected to the fan, usually black or red, and the white wire. If you do not get 120v try testing the colored wire and the green or bare wire. You should have 120v inside the box on the ceiling. If not then the problem is in the wiring circuitry and not the fan. If you do have 120v, make sure all the wire connections are tight. If you still have a slow turning fan then the problem is in the fan. Either the receiver, the control wiring, a switch, or the fan motor itself. If you would like to discuss over the phone let me know,

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question.

All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question, if you believe it has relevance on this issue. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician