Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Hope u have a little patience,, had a floor steam mop, when…

Customer Question
Ok, hope u have...

Ok, hope u have a little patience, , had a floor steam mop, when I finished I stupidly pulled the cord out from a few feet away, of course it sparked, blew the outlet and blew out the mop. Replaced outlet and I wired it right plugged in new mop and nothing. My outside breaker controls 3 outlets, which are the older part of house, plugged mop into the other 2,and nothing. replaced those 2. And still nothing. Could my breaker actually have gone bad?? Signed, ticked off homeowner. Rich

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

What floor,so u b a robot

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I sparked an outlet by pulling a steam mop out of the wall,ruined outlet and mop. Replaced all 3 outlets this breaker controlled. Still no power, could breaker have gone out? ?

Contractor's Assistant: What confuses you?

No power to all 3 outlets I replaced.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really,just wondering if outside breaker could of blown also.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/25/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 10 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? It is needed to troubleshoot the problem.

I'll get one at home depot,then what.

You'll need to test the receptacle as follows

1. Hot to neutral
  2. Hot to ground
  3. Neutral to ground

Let me know the readings

If your tester does continuity test neutral to ground if no voltage found on previous test.

Ok too early, ,I'll get a tester when home depot opens. Could outside breaker have blown also?,it was a pretty good spark.

With a tester we'll find out.

Ok will do. Thanx.

Let me know the results of the testing.