Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The pictured ( switch location is wired to a combination…

The pictured (https://www.dropbox.com/s/by2iajbh9aeeabu/IMG_3531.JPG?dl=0) switch location...
The pictured (https://www.dropbox.com/s/by2iajbh9aeeabu/IMG_3531.JPG?dl=0) switch location is wired to a combination light and 3-speed fan unit that has separate pull chains for light and fan.
- A wall switch used to turn all the power to the light/fan either on or off so that you could use it as a light switch (fan pull chain off, light pull chain on, light controlled by wall switch).
- Replaced old switch with a single pole switch and wired it exactly as it was wired to the previous switch to the red and black wires at the left of the picture (black wired to top, red wired to bottom) - new switch is confirmed good.
- Now the switch has no effect on the light and fan which are both powered on all the time and can only be controlled by the pull chains.
- Pulling apart the two black wires in the switch outlet also has no effect, light fixture and fan remain powered and can only be controlled by pull chains.Question is how can I get the replacement switch to have the same effect on the light fixture as the previous switch had - it is wired exactly the same as the previous switch was wired?
9/24/2017
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

There are number on the switch can you send a pic of both switches?

I can't open your link ?

The link to the outlet wiring definitely works - I just confirmed. Copy and paste this into a new window browser: https://www.dropbox.com/s/by2iajbh9aeeabu/IMG_3531.JPG?dl=0Being so confident in my handiwork I disposed of the old switch before testing. The new switch is a Lutron Claro. The UL number is ***** hard to read. I will take a picture.

I did cut and paste and nothing comes up ?

New switch pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4x0ne1ly75u30h/IMG_3532.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/felsll4ebngozy9/IMG_3533.JPG?dl=0
I can email you pictures if you send me address
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Try the "justanswer" links above. I attached them directly to this forum.