Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I still do not have power from hurricane Irma. I need to…

Customer Question
I still do not...

I still do not have power from hurricane Irma. I need to know how to hook up my pool pump to the generator I an using.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Started yesterday & the pump got hot and shut down. Hope I didn't fry it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I took a end off a cord & went directly to my timer box putting the black wire on #2 load, white wire to wire going to pump and green ground to green ground. It ran for a while but seemed like half speed. Then got hot & shut down.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 9 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hi, what is the electrical rating of your pool pump and your generator?

The generator is a dewalt 7000. The pool pump is a 230/115 volt.

what is the peak wattage or starting wattage for the generator? Also what is the amperage rating of the motor?

Sorry there was a payment failure. Could not complete the call. Please contact customer service to resolve

try again. It was amex security

still shows as a failure on this end. it takes a while to clear on this end once it happens

we can continue here. I just need the peak or starting wattage rating for the generator and the amperage of the pump motor

I will have to go home and look at the label on the pump motor. Can you call me in 30 minutes?

I'm not sure if it will be cleared by then but I will try. If not post the information here

If you can give me your emai or number I can send all the info from the label on top of the motor.
Max load amps is 7.6/15.3 on the pool pump motor

Just Answer policy doesn't allow exchange of personal contact information between customer and expert unless a premium service has been successfully purchased by the customer.

and is the motor normally run on 220 or 115?

I'm not sure

that may be the issue if you hooked it to the wrong voltage

There is a do
There is a double 20 amp breaker on the elec panel for the pool pump

ok so it sounds like it's a 220 volt. Did you hook it into a 220 volt receptacle coming from your generator?

There is a line coming out of the generator marked 120V/240V AC & it is switchable for 120 V power and 240 V power. Yesterday when it got hot & shut down it was set to 120.

Ouch that may have burned up the motor! You could try it again on the 240 setting. Before you do that I'd really like to see a picture of what cord you hooked up to the generator that was coming from the timer box. Can you take a picture and upload it here?

which wire is going to the motor?

The motor was plugged into the yellow line coming out of the generator.

I mean at the timer. Is it the one going down out of the bottom of the box?

It looks like you have the white connected to the wire going right out the box

I put the black wire on the #2 load wire on the timer box ad coupled the white wire to the other wire going to the motor. The green I grounded to the green in the timer box.

So the wires going to the motor are the ones going down straight out of the bottom of the box?

The black wire is connected to what is labeled #2 load.
Correct
Of interest, when it was running yesterday it seemed like it was only running at 1/2 speed
Perhaps I could wire it straight to the pump motor eliminating the timer box?
Ok. Yes you could do that.
Hopefully the motor has internal thermal protection and didn't actually burn up
I'll try it then switch to 240 V
Just curious what is the box just to the right of the timer?
switch to 240 this time
The pump still works but eve with this approach it seems like we are still running on 1/2 power looking at the pump
I'm not sure what the box is to the right of the timer. The only other thing I can think of is to switch my white & black please advise
Perhaps we are loosing through the thin green power cord???
At thid point it mighy be a good idea to get an electrician out yo check voltages and double check your cord set up
Thanks I'm out of ideas!
Ok good luck!