Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Im trying to wire a 3 gang switch but only getting one light…

Hi, Im trying to wire...
Hi, Im trying to wire a 3 gang switch but only getting one light working. Can I post a picture to show you the wiring.
Thanks, Ed
Is anyone there??
9/24/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, what wires do you have connected at each light fixture?

Hi the first is a ceiling light that was previously there, that is the old red and black wiring and that is still working om.I have added 14 spotlights on 2 sets of 7 eachI will add a picture of one of them. They have brown and blue wire eachThanks

Ok so you brought the flex to the switch box and that's all that is going to each set of lights? The one flex from the switch?

each set of 7 lights are linked together and one set of wires to each switch
Are you in UK as this wiring will be different if in another country.Thanks

Your problem is that the new lights don't have a neutral connection. You're using the blue as a switch leg and the brown is also receiving power by being connected to the common. You should connect the browns to the L1 and the blues need a neutral connection which you do not have at that switch box. Is there any way you could replace that 3-core flex from the existing lights with a 4-core flex to bring a neutral down?

No I'm in the US but I know UK wiring

No that is inaccessible

Unfortunately your lights will never work with this configuration. You will need to somehow bring a neutral connection going to your lights for them to work.

This is another room that an electrician did. Is the box that the blue wires are in what you are meaning
Does the neutral have to go to each new light. So would I rewire them with 3 core wiring.

Yes in that box the neutrals come into the box but with the one you have they had only run the black and red from the lights which was a power in to the switch and a power return (switch leg) to the light

Each light does need a neutral but your problem is whereto get the neutral connection.

Ok think I'll get an electrician to look at it thanks

You're welcome. Wish it was better news for you. Good luck

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Please don't forget to rate me before logging out so I can get credit here for answering

Thank you

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician