Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a kitchen with 8 low voltage (50W) recessed lights…

Customer Question
I have a kitchen with...
I have a kitchen with 8 low voltage (50W) recessed lights around the perimeter ceiling. They have always burned out quickly, and all have been out for a long time now. Got tired of replacing them every month. They would burn out one by one until they were all out. I think they are on the same circuit as a large kitchen light in the middle of the room - about 8 bulbs in that monstrosity. No dimming - just on/off switch on each end of the kitchen. Today I purchased Ecosmart led bulbs from HD to replace the small bulbs - thought the reduction in heat would mean they would last longer. Plugged them all in, nothing works. The main kitchen light is on, and the tester says each of the low voltage fixtures has power, but the leds are not coming on. What am I missing?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/24/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 10 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the wall switch an ON/OFF switch or a dimmer switch?

2) If a dimmer switch, is it rated for LED's and are the LED's listed and rated for the dimmer switch?

It's just on/off.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Do you have a multimeter to confirm voltages at the can light sockets?

I might, but it would take a minute to find it.

No problem, reply back to me when you have a meter and we can continue.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

Sorry - I found the meter but batteries are dead. I guess I'll need to do this another day.....thanks anyway....

No problem, just reply back to me when you have a meter available and we can continue.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)