Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I pulled an outlet with 4 black and 4 wires pushed into the…

I pulled an outlet...

I pulled an outlet with 4 black and 4 white wires pushed into the back of the outlet with an additional white and black connected to side screws. Can I connect 2 blacks to one screw and 2 Whites to one screw leaving the others to be connected to the other screws?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Typed that wrong. Three black and whites. Been changing outlets all day. This is the only one like this so far

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Already changed 8

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No other issues.just haven't seen this before

9/23/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hi I can help you. Please stand by while I review your info

Ok, so is it 3 black and 3 whites pushed in back and a 4th of each color on screw terminals?

Also is it a normal receptacle or a GFCI?

Normal receptacle . It was a 2 black and 2 white pushed into the back with an additional white connected to the top screw and a black connected to bottom screw. 2 grounds connected together

I would connect them all with a red wire nut and run a pigtail wire to the receptacle.

The graphic shows only 2 existing wires but it's the same principle with 3 or 4

Seems straightforward enough. Does it matter if black is on top or bottom screw? Have pulled some both way.

Can you clarify what you mean by top and bottom?

Look at this https://inspectapedia.com/electric/0506s.jpg Each side has a top and bottom and it doesn't matter which one the wire goes to as long as it is in the correct side

Thank you for the help. Have a great remainder of the weekend

You too. Please don't forget to rate my answer or else I don't get credit here for answering it.

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician