Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Wiring 240 garage heater with 10/3 wire and double pole

wiring 240 garage heater...

wiring 240 garage heater with 10/3 wire and double pole 30anp breacker

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Brand new and he is due in but the wires in heater are tagged 1234

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's a dimplex euh-b unit

9/22/2017
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome.

Is there a wiring diagram on the unit?

If so could you share a picture of it with me?

Thank you

...and thanks for becoming a member

there is on the inside panel of the unit and not sure how to send it to you

Thanks, ***** ***** take a picture on your phone in this chat box use the paperclip icon to attach the picture and send it

From what I can find on the Dimplex website it appears that your line conductors should connect two terminals labeled L1 and L2 with the bare ground wire connect him to the Ground Terminal

1 and 2 are red and black with 3and4 to nuetrral and ground to case?

Normally a 240 unit would not require the white/neutral.

...not sure unless I can see the wiring diagram or find it online.

Do you see any additional model number information?

...and do you see a kW Rating on the unit?

Thank you...looking at the pictures...

Very good, that is the same diagram that I found online and note it says online 3 that it is optional. Line 3 would only be used on a 3-phase circuit so in your case nothing connects to L3

I verified, use black & white wires, one to L1 terminal & one to L2 terminal (it does not matter which goes where, they are interchangeable on single-phase power) then bare to ground screw.

Note: your circuit, a #10 on a 30A Breaker is only good for a unit rated not more than 5.5 kW.

peak on this unit is4kw so should be good and so I only needed 10-2 instead of 10-3 is what I am hearing?

That is correct. If you have 10/3, use the black & red for L1 & L2 bare for ground and cap off the white.

Yes, for 4kW you are good.

ProGrade
Thank you so much

You are welcome, glad to be of assistance, that's what we do.

You can save me (Prograde) as your favorite expert for this category and ask for me next time you have an electrical question.

Please rate my service before leaving the site.

I will leave the question open in case something else comes up while you are working on this.

Thank you very much for the excellent rating. I appreciate it.

Good luck with your project.

ProGrade
ProGrade