Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Im working on a 3 way light circuit that no longer works no…

Customer Question
Im working on a 3...
Im working on a 3 way light circuit that no longer works no mater what combination I try. I guess question #1 is: the first switch that I have pulled has a black screw and a brass colored screw (red wire) on one side and a brass colored screw on the opposite side. with the wires removed how would I ring that one out? #2 question is: The the old switch has a back screw on the top of one side and brass colored screw on the bottom of that same side (red wire) The replacement switch has a Brass colored screw on the top with the black one on the bottom. Do I fallow screw color or do I fallow screw location.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/22/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 10 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The black screw is the common pole on a 3 way switch. On one switch that leads the circuit, the hot wire is connected. The brass screws are travelers and the wire color on the lead switch brass screws should be the same on the second switch. The black screw on the second switch is the wire to the light. Test for voltage on the lead switch and on the travelers as you flip the switch. Then do the same on the second switch travelers as you flip the first switch.

Do I track with you that the red wire that goes to the black on the old switch should go to the black wire of the new switch no matter top or bottom ;location ?
not black wire but black screw
Red Wire to black Screw no mater location on the new swich???

The use of colors on 3 way switches is up to the installer. The leads switch should have either a black or a white wire with black tape on it. Either remove the wires or center the toggle on the switch, then test each wire to ground with a 2 wire voltage tester

I don't track real well with what your saying lets try it this way....should the wire no mater what color that is on the black screw of the old go on the black screw of the the new......????

If the switching worked previously, yes the connection to the black screws are the same