Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

A swimming pool renovation. Existing is a 60 amp sub panel…

A swimming pool renovation. Existing is...
A swimming pool renovation.
Existing is a 60 amp sub panel at the pool location. It controls the pool pumps as well as some misc lighting and outlets. I have a couple of questions.
1. If I use a 60 amp gfci breaker in the main panel that supplies the sub panel, will that take care of any gfci concerns for the pumps, outlets and lights in the pool area?
2. The sub panel Im sure needs a ground rod. Does it need 2 of them 6'apart or is 1 ok?
3. The sub panel is visible from the pool and greater than 5 feet away. Is that sufficient or do I need an additional disconnect?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello is the sub panel in a detached pool house or other structure?
Open air on a post

And how far away is that from the house?

50'

Ok. To answer your question about the ground rods, you would need 2 spaced at a minimum of 6 feet apart. I would space them at 8 feet or the length of the rods apart.

Ok

I have to step away for about 40 mins anf then I can answer the rest of your question. Is that ok with you?

Sure

Hello, I am back

K

Ok, yes your GFCI feeder breaker will satisfy the requirement for your pool equipment and associated electrical circuits to be GFCI protected

Your panel should be fine for the disconnection means, in my opinion

I would make sure that when you open it, each circuit breaker is clearly labeled for quick identification

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician