Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am trying to install this timer switch. I took out the

I am trying to install this timer switch. I took out the switch and located the hot and line, but when I tried to insert the wires as per the instructions they would only go in about 3/16" and would not stay put. I tried loosening the screws but no help. Are the wires too thick?

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Back off the screws, restrip the wire (needs to be straight, insert and tighten the screws.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi Mike. I will try that. Not home now. The wires are very thick. Could that be the problem?

The timer should accept up to a #10 wire. Most lighting circuits are #12 or #14, much smaller.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Ok. Will try it when get home.

Very good. Let me know how it went.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Your suggestion to back off the screws worked but I think there's something wrong with the device may be stripped inside because it won't tighten up to hold one of the wires one is holding one seems to be stripped.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Going to have to put this on the back burner. Thanks for your help. Once again!
The one not holding...may have the wire inserted on the wrond side of plate inside. Remove wire and look in hole for the plate. Wire needs to be between screw head and plate.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Actually I have one more question. Does there have to be a middle point at which the negative wires from the load and the hot bundles has to be attached.? The box I'm working in is plastic and the grounds from the load to the hot are connected to each other. In this case where does the ground go into the device? And as I am replacing the original switch my question isdoes it matter where the load and the hot go on and on off switch?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I checked the plate and screws and wire and I had the wire between the two
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Note the ground wires connected
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Sorry. "Metal" not "middle"

Unfortunately you can't use that switch. You don't have a neutral in the box. It requires a hot, aneutral and a switched hot. I suggest getting an Intermatic ST01C timer. It doesn't require a neutral and has the same functions.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you for your help. I have decided to go with an outdoor motion light instead of the timer switch. Thanks again. I am sure I will have more questions about future projects!!

Anytime, you're welcome.