Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Second opinion] my old garbage disposal immediately trips…

Customer Question
Second opinion] my old...

Second opinion] my old garbage disposal immediately trips the GFCI. I used an extension cord to check it with other switches in the house and the same thing happens, it immediately trips the GFCI even before the garbage disposal is turned on (which it doesn't anyway, no power to garbage disposal.) Is it the garbage disposal itself?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Garbage disposal quit working, no power, no noise. I did all the usual garbage disposal fixes, but its not jammed or anything, its electrical. I'm trying to figure out if its the plug or the disposal that is the problem. So when I plug the disposal in any other outlet, it still immedialtey trips the GCFI.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

No have not consulted electrician. Prefer to do it myself.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably. Its just one plug & one garbage disposal.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The disposal may have toasted the plug box it is plugged into. When I plug a lamp into that outlet it doesn't work. So I'm pretty sure I need to replace the plug unit anyway. But I'm trying to find out why a garbage disposal would automatically trip a GCFI in a good plug.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 9 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

hi..............there is a short in the disposal itself and has to be rewired or replaced .........and yes the outlet has to be changed ............can you get me the make and model so I can have a little more information on it

Thanks

eddie

I hope you have found my answers insightful and to your satisfaction……. please click ACCEPT… this would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming to me until I am rated for my assistance…..positive feedback…..5 star replies and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated

And thank you for your help

eddie