Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We are putting in overhead light in dining room and wording…

Customer Question
We are putting in...

We are putting in overhead light in dining room and wording used instead of positive and negative are smooth and rigid. Could you please translate the meaning of smooth and rigid in this context? Thank-you and God Bless.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since yesterday when we bought the light.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/20/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 9 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The ribbed wire insulation is the neutral wire which will splice to the white neutral house wire.

2) The smooth wire insulation is the hot wire which will splice to the switched loop wire in the ceiling box.

Does this help?

On the cord coming from the light itself, the side that has the writing on it,. is it positive or negative��?

1) There is no such thing as a positive or a negative wire on an AC electrical system. Positive and negative are only on a DC or battery voltage system. AC voltage consists of hot and neutral conductors.

2) The wire with writing on it is the neutral conductor.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?