Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Garage door opener went dead after hurricane, replaced the…

Customer Question
Garage door opener went...

Garage door opener went dead after hurricane, replaced the logic board and now it trips the GFI in the garage when plugged back in!

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since hurricane Irma left Florida

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't think of anything at the moment other than what I described

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/19/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 11 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Unplug the opener from the garage ceiling receptacle and temporarily plug the opener into a regular 3 prong receptacle in the house that does not have GFCI protection. If the opener works, then there is an issue with the GFCI or another downstream receptacle. Further investigation/troubleshooting will be required.

2) If the opener does not work, then a problem with the opener.

3) Also plug a light or some other load into the ceiling receptacle and if the GFCI still trips.

I have done two of the items mentioned, so I will try to plug the opener into another outlet. I did read that harmonics could play a role, but it worked fine before the power went out
Unfortunately not at home now at work. Trying to figure out if I need an electrician at this point

1) Is the garage circuit wired as a dedicated circuit or wired as a shared neutral circuit? If shared neutral, it is possibly a harmonics issue with sensitive electronic components on the board, but that is even somewhat doubtful.

2) Try eliminating the garage circuit and the GFCI and plug the opener into a different circuit that does not contain GFCI. It will either work or will not work. If not working, then an issue with either the opener or the replaced board.

Thank you.

No problem, glad to assist.

Reply back to me and let me know how you make out.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)