Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Customer has 3 phase 100 amp service. 3 phase operates a/c.

Customer Question
I want to give him...
customer has 3 phase 100 amp service. 3 phase operates a/c. I want to give him a 110/220 generator and 3 phase transfer switch to feed a panel that does not have the a/c in it
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/18/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 9 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the generator is only single phase, you will require a phase converter to convert from single phase to 3-phase in order to back feed a 3-phase panelboard.

2) A 120/240 generator is single phase only and is not compatible with 3-phase unless a phase converter is installed.

3) Phase converters don't come cheap and are somewhat expensive.

the transfer switch cuts of all power to the house the generator feeds a new panel with only single phase breakers
i can not see why it would not work, what is your opinion

1) Can't mix apples with oranges. 2 different voltage sources and incompatibility issues unless a phase converter is installed in between the gen set and the 3-phase panelboard.

1) The application requires either a phase converter or a 3-phase generator.

2) A 120/240 generator is single phase power. Thus the reason for a converter.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?