Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a question related to electrical outlet combo switch,

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question related to electrical outlet combo switch

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a diagram for the question how can i send? and how much is this service?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/18/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 5 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

You can attach it to your message.

ok, i did
thank you so much for doing this

Connect as follows.

1. Hot wire to black screw
  2. White wire to silver screw
  3. Wire to light on gold screw
i'm trying to replace the old switch with combo.
and there is no wire going back to the light source
the original switch had one black (hot), one neutral(white), and ground wires, total 3 wires.

Sorry, I Hought youhad 3 wires and a ground. Your diagram was cut off when viewed. You can't use that switch without the additional wire.

i can i put additional wire?
sorry, how can I put additional wire?

You'll need to replace the cable from the light with a 3 wire w/ground to the switch or find another source for the receptacle

how are you?
i want to have the bottom outlet to be turned on along with ceiling light. please help me ~!

Stand by while I look at the diagram.

Having only 2 wires from the light to the switch, you don't have a neutral. Both wires at the switch are hots. One is the feed and the other is the switched hot. You'll need to either replace the 2 wire with a 3 wire cable or find another source.

Got it. so if I switch the cable to 3 wire cable from the celing light to wall switch, how do I connect wires together?
as I mentioned, the whole purpose of this project is to have the *only* bottom of the outlet to be turned on by switch along with ceiling light
At the light
Black to feed hot
Red to light fixture black
White to feed whiteAt switch
Black to switch and 2 wire to receptacle
Red to switch
White to 2 wire to receptacle
Hi, Mike,
if it is not too much to ask, can you draw diagram for me? I would be really appreciated.
I suggest using a switch over switch. It's not normal to have a switch for a light and a receptacle.
the whole reason i want this project is because I'm plugging in lamp stand to the bottom of the receptacle. and I want the ceiling light and the stand lamp to be turned on together. So, I don't think switch over switch would work.
I want to connect the source wire(2 wire plus the ground) to the new wire(3 wire plus ground) which will be connected to combo(which I want the receptacle to be turned on and off at the same time with switch) and to the wire(also 2 wire plus ground) which is connection for other room

The new 3 wire will connect as follows

At the light... Black to black.... White to white and the white fixture wire. The red connects to the fixture black

At the switch

White to silver screw

Black to gold screw

Red to black screw.

Not close to my instructions. It will be sometime tomorrow before I can make a diagram for you.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician