Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have 3wire switch box on each end of my garage for

Customer Question
i have 3wire switch...
i have 3wire switch box on each end of my garage for overhead lites i would like to know if there is any way to add regular plugs
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/18/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 11 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please confirm the type of switches you have? Are they 3-way switches.....ie......the lights can be controlled from 2 separate wall switch locations, is that correct?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or a multimeter to confirm the source voltage of the circuit?

3) Do you want to install a receptacle at one of the switch boxes?

OK, thanks for the replies.

1) You will need to locate the 3-way switch that has the live circuit feed whether either switch is ON or OFF. Thus the purpose of a volt meter.

2) On each 3-way, there will be 1 black COM screw and 2 brass screws. The black COM screw is for the hot wire termination on only 1 switch. That switch box will also require to contain a white neutral conductor. Once you confirm both of these, it is just a matter of splicing into and extending the hot and neutral wires and ground to the downstream receptacle.

Reply back with any questions.

Thanks............Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?