Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My electrical socket under stairs doesn't work I replaced it…

My electrical socket under...

My electrical socket under stairs doesn't work I replaced it to no avail I can't see where the wiring comes from any ideas it's a Levitt cape built in 1947

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Original and no not yet

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I checked in closet area where heat and hot water heater are and didn't see any wiring going to the area in question I do have an outlet under stairs in kitchen area for hot water heater that works I thought it might tap off of that but that one works

9/17/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

hello, have you checked fuses or circuit breakers to see if any are blown or tripped

Hello, I see you opened another question. Do you not want to continue here?

all are good and please continue

ok, do you happen to know which fuse or circuit breaker that particular outlet is on?

No unfortunately only 3 are labeled. Kitchen living room and bedrooms
I believe kitchen and bathroom are on same circuit and everything works

So there is another outlet on the opposite side of the same staircase that is in the kitchen and that one works?

The outlet in question is on living room side of stairs

ok, do you have fuses or breakers?

Breakers

alright, just to be sure can you go through and turn each one to the off position and then back on? Sometimes they can trip and not show as tripped

Tried all no good

ok, without knowing for sure which circuit it is on we will have to do a bit of guess work. I would start by turning off the breaker that that kitchen outlet is on on the opposite side of the stairs in the kitchen. Then pull that working outlet out and check the wiring. Tug on the wires connected to the receptacle and wiggle them a bit to see if any come loose. You will want to do the same to any connections in the back of the box.

Ok will get back later thanks Sam

ok, if you don't find anything move on to other receptacles on that circuit. If still nothing move back into the living room and perform the same test on that circuit. Remember to turn off power first!

For sure

.

Any luck?

Not yet I started then the wife's day kicked in I'll get back to it soon as she said it's not an important outlet

ok. I understand that. Let me know what you find either way

Will do
Thank you

you're welcome

Any luck with this?

No I'll get back to it Sunday

Roger that

Any luck with this?

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician