Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an rv at home with a Siemens 30AMP gfi breaker. The…

Customer Question
hello I have an rv...
hello I have an rv at home with a Siemens 30AMP gfi breaker. The system has been functioning since February 2016 when it was professionally installed. We have taken several trips and always returned plugging in at home with everything running to fridges A/C the works. We took it to the shop where it stayed for over a month for some minor cosmetic work they were slow but I know that they had to transfer it to a different facility several miles away a paint shop. Now that the unit is home when I plug in after a varying amount of time sometimes five minutes sometimes 20 minutes the GFI breaker pops as if there has been a short. I disconnected the AC and the two refrigerators(essentially no load) and the breaker is fine I connect one small College dorm size refrigerator after a period of time the breaker pops. I swapped using the larger internal refrigerator with the small refrigerator off after a period of time the breaker pops I run the air conditioner by itself without the refrigerators on sometimes it will stay on for an hour sometimes 10 minutes then it pops the breaker. I can run all three items and the system will run for several minutes until the breaker pops. The breaker is never warm I've pulled the breaker out-of-the-box to confirm all the wires had a good connection. I've examined the wiring on the RV outlet mounted on the wall remove each wire and reset it to ensure a good connection just like on the breaker. Nothing seems to fix it the unit can be plugged in for days without those three items on and the breaker will not pop. I'm at a loss as to where to begin tracing down the problem do you have any suggestions?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/16/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 9 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The first thing to check is the amperage with your loads connected. The items mentioned are motor loads which draw more when starting. A time when a combination.of loads starting May exceed the bresker. A clamp meter is required and is available at Harbor Freight for around $15.00.

The next thing suggested is to replace the GFCI breaker with a non GFCI breaker. It wasn't required on a 30A circuit.