Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a dedicated 10 amp romex line in conduit, going to a…

I have a dedicated 10...
I have a dedicated 10 amp romex line in conduit, going to a direct wired garbage disposer under my kitchen sink. I want to connect this line up to a single gang outlet box to make exchanging the disposer easier in the future by just plugging a new one in. What are the clearances, height and distance from water line, and other requirements for installing an outlet under a sink?
9/16/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, the only requirement in that case is that it be protected by an Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI). That comes from section 210.12(A) ofthe National Electrical Code.

...of the National Electrical Code

There is no height or clearance requirement for proximity to water pipes and such.

Does it need to be a foot or more off the ground, or a certain distance away from the plumbing, in case of leaking plumbing? Also, can an arc fault interrupter be installed in the panel with the 2 wire romex I have?

The NEC doesn't have a height of install requirement and the only requirement for proximity to plumbing is for sinks, tubs, and showers. In those cases it must be a GFCI if installed within 6 feet of the edge of those.

As far as the AFCI, yes you can use it with 2-wire romex. An AFCI doesn't need a ground for proper operation

I can replace the current 10 amp breaker with an AFCI and be done. Will the disposer trip the AFCI if it gets clogged? This sounds like a huge pain to have to check the breaker box if the disposer gets full or clogged or runs hard,

Yes you can replace that breaker with an AFCI and satisfy that requirement. No the garbage disposal should not trip an AFCI like you suggest.

There is an exception that states if that circuit is dedicated only for that one unit and the cord is less than 6 feet long you do not need an AFCI

That means there can't be any other receptacles or lights or hard wired appliances on that circuit other than what the disposal is plugged into

Can I buy a single plug in outlet? (never seen one of these) or can it just be a double, even though it will be used for the disposer only.
Which is better in your professional opinion, a hard wired disposer in conduit, or one with a plug in cord without conduit? A plug in is easier to swap out, but direct wire seems better.

Really I don't see a difference. My personal preference is a cord and plug just for the convenience when it is changed but a hard wire is a more secure connection if done properly.

With as little use as that receptacle would get it would probably never wear out and get loose

Many thanks, ***** ***** very helpful and knowledgeable.

You're welcome. Please don't forget to give me a rating so I get credited for answering. Good luck!

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician