Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I want to add an outdoor sump pump. It would be easy to pull…

Customer Question
I want to add...

I want to add an outdoor sump pump. It would be easy to pull power through a garage wall from an outlet. Can I pull from a circuit that supplies outlets inside the garage?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not long

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am aware of the outside buried cable and conduit requirements.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/15/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Sump pumps are recommended to reside on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

2) The receptacle will also be required to be GFCI protected.

OK. A reasonable recommendation. Is it a code requirement? The existing circuit is GFCI.FYI - I will almost certainly install a dedicated circuit but this is an external sump pump that is designed to help drainage in my yard...not a risk of a basement flooding, for instance.

Yes, all garage and/or exterior receptacles are required by the NEC to be GFCI protected. If an external receptacle, you will also need an "in-use" bubble cover at the receptacle box.

Any other questions?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor