Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I would like electrical advice for a ceiling light fixture,

Customer Question

I would like electrical advice for a ceiling light fixture
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: 1960s and no
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, how can I help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to know which wire to connect to which for the following:In the basement living room ceiling, there are three electrical boxes. The one farthest from the breaker just has a black and a white wire, which I connected successfully to the light fixture.But the other two boxes have two cables feeding into the box, each with one white and one black wire (i.e., a total of 4 wires).If I connect black to white and white to black in the ceiling wires the lights all work (i.e., without the new light fixtures. But I need to install new light fixtures on the two empty boxes.Each of the new light fixtures have a white and a black wire. Can you help me figure out how to connect all the wires?
Thank you
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply.

The proper way to connect the boxes with 2 cables (4 wires) is to connect all whites (these are neutrals) in each box to the ehite on the fixture. Then connect all blacks to the black on the fixture.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See the attached picture of the electrical box to which i want to attach the new light fixture.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply.

The proper way to connect the boxes with 2 cables (4 wires) is to connect all whites (these are neutrals) in each box to the white on the fixture. Then connect all blacks to the black on the fixture.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

Your picture shows two White's connected together and two blacks connected together. That is correct so far. Add the white from the fixture to the whites then the black from the fixture to the blacks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the response. That doesn't seem to complete the circuit. Is there another solution that may work?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

What I shared is the correct method if the wiring was installed properly.

Can you please explain what you mean that it does not seem to complete the circuit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, when I connect the new light fixture wires to both blacks, the light will not work
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

Is this controlled by a single wall switch?

Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe it's a three way switchI do not have a multimeter
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

OK, were the 3-way switches working with the old fixtures?

If so, if nothing has changed but the fixtures, if you will install new fixtures per above, they will be wired correctly and will work.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in, how is it going with the new fixtures? ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still no luck.I'm going to try connecting both and see what happens
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 month ago.

OK, just let me know how it goes and if you have any questions along the way.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I connected the white wires to themselves and connected each black wire to the wires for the fixture as shown in the attached image. But the light will still not work :(
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I see the fixture is a track light. You need to check to verify that the wired connector is installed correctly. One side has 2 tracks and the other one track. The connector needs to match and make the fixture live. Let me know if that was the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
both sides of the connector are touching the track
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any other ideas on what it might be?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

With your multimeter test black to white for 120V. Then test black to ground, white to ground. Let me know what you found. We

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do it tmrw and get back to you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Very good.