Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I would like electrical advice for a ceiling light fixture,

Customer Question
I would like electrical...

I would like electrical advice for a ceiling light fixture

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

1960s and no

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 9 months ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome, how can I help?

I need to know which wire to connect to which for the following:In the basement living room ceiling, there are three electrical boxes. The one farthest from the breaker just has a black and a white wire, which I connected successfully to the light fixture.But the other two boxes have two cables feeding into the box, each with one white and one black wire (i.e., a total of 4 wires).If I connect black to white and white to black in the ceiling wires the lights all work (i.e., without the new light fixtures. But I need to install new light fixtures on the two empty boxes.Each of the new light fixtures have a white and a black wire. Can you help me figure out how to connect all the wires?
Thank you

Thanks for the reply.

The proper way to connect the boxes with 2 cables (4 wires) is to connect all whites (these are neutrals) in each box to the ehite on the fixture. Then connect all blacks to the black on the fixture.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the reply.

The proper way to connect the boxes with 2 cables (4 wires) is to connect all whites (these are neutrals) in each box to the white on the fixture. Then connect all blacks to the black on the fixture.

Your picture shows two White's connected together and two blacks connected together. That is correct so far. Add the white from the fixture to the whites then the black from the fixture to the blacks

Thanks for the response. That doesn't seem to complete the circuit. Is there another solution that may work?

What I shared is the correct method if the wiring was installed properly.

Can you please explain what you mean that it does not seem to complete the circuit?

Well, when I connect the new light fixture wires to both blacks, the light will not work

Is this controlled by a single wall switch?

Do you have a multimeter?

I believe it's a three way switchI do not have a multimeter

OK, were the 3-way switches working with the old fixtures?

If so, if nothing has changed but the fixtures, if you will install new fixtures per above, they will be wired correctly and will work.

Just checking in, how is it going with the new fixtures? ?

Still no luck.I'm going to try connecting both and see what happens

OK, just let me know how it goes and if you have any questions along the way.

Thank you

Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 9 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I see the fixture is a track light. You need to check to verify that the wired connector is installed correctly. One side has 2 tracks and the other one track. The connector needs to match and make the fixture live. Let me know if that was the problem.

both sides of the connector are touching the track
Any other ideas on what it might be?

With your multimeter test black to white for 120V. Then test black to ground, white to ground. Let me know what you found. We

Will do it tmrw and get back to you

Very good.