Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a junction box with Al wiring. One Black One Red and…

I have a junction box...
I have a junction box with Al wiring. One Black One Red and a stranded bare common. It used to have a drop in stove. I wish to change over to a new slide in stove with a 3 prong plug. Can I put a flush mount outlet here without a separate ground, using the bare aluminum common as ground?
9/14/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many amps doe the new stove require?

2) What is the conductor size of the Aluminum wires in AWG?

3) Is the existing aluminum wiring a cable or wired with metal conduit or other?

New stove is standard amperage for oven stove. It is obviously 220V. The wires are 6guage AL. The previous stove was built in, originally from the 1970's, and had a wire to the junction box on the wall, that was in conduit and had a separate ground, neutral and two hots.
Dont want to rewire the junction box to include a separate ground but rather put in a stove flush mount outlet, using the 3 wires in the box, if possible.

Thanks for the replies.

1) There is no standard amperage on any stove. Amp ratings can range anywhere from 20 to 50 amps. I need to know the required amps for the new stove. Look at the specs or the nameplate label for the rating or provide me with the wattage rating on the new stove? 6 AWG aluminum is rated for a maximum of 40 amps.

2) I'm confused on the existing wiring. You originally mention you only have 1 black, 1 red and 1 stranded bare. Now you mention the wiring was installed in conduit and you have 4 separate wires.

Which is it? 3 or 4 wires? And are the house wire installed in metal conduit all the way from the panel to the wall box?

40 amp stove. The junction box has 3AL wires. The whip going to the stove was in conduit and had 4. Now want to just plug brand new stove in wall with plug it comes with. How to wire?
No conduit to panel, just outside of wall.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Since you only have 3 conductors, you will need a 40 amp double pole breaker and a NEMA rated 10-50R 3 prong receptacle. They don't manufacture a 40 amp receptacle. Code allows you to increase to the next higher receptacle size using 50 amps.

2) You will also require a 50 amp rated 3 prong NEMA rated 10-50P cord. At the rear of the stove, bond the cord neutral conductor to the stove green ground screw located on the stove frame and to the middle neutral terminal screw. Install either the metal bonding strap or an 8 AWG copper jumper wire from the stove neutral terminal screw to the stove green ground screw.

See attached diagrams:

Are u there

Yes I am. What is your question?

read above

I can only see your original reply and then I replied back with an answer. If you replied back to me, I don't see anything.

Can you hear me now? my apologies

I see that you opted me out. I have also opted out of the question. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

Your question will be placed back to the expert pool and another expert will most likely pick up your question.

No need to reply back to me.

Didnt opt out. My apologies, cant see answer.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You should install a 3 wire 50A receptacle with a 3 wire cord set to the unit. The connections in the range are as follows.

1. Red and black to the outside terminations on the block.
  2. White wire to the center termination with a jumper to the frame for a ground

The diagram Kevin gave you will show the above.

The receptacle will have the bvlack and red to the outside terminations and the bare ground to the center.

Let me know if that helped.

Is this ground good enough on the frame of the stove? What if there is a large liquid spill on the frame. Will I need a better ground than the bare common wire? Does it need to be grounded to the panel?

An existing 3 wire circuit is allowed to remain by code. The bare wire is a neutral and a ground. At the range a bonfing jumper is all that is needed. The size can be a #10 copper wire or you may find a jumper in the range when you wire it.

Thank You Very Much Mike G and Kevin as well.

Anytime, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician