Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Electrical outlets on on side of the room are out, about 50

Customer Question
hello JA: Hi. How can I...
hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: electrical outlets on on side of the room are out
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: about 50 yrs and no
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: when I measure from ground to hot side there is residual voltage that is increasing slowly
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/14/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest plugging a vacuum cleaner into the dead receptacle. Make sure it's on. Now go to all other receptacles, in the room and in adjacent rooms. With a plug form anything wiggle the outlets side to side. If the failed connection is in the outlet you'll hear the vacuum cleaner. In most cases this is a common problem, a bad connection on a device.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician