Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a 220V pool pump connected to a receptacle(L520RCCV3…

I have a 220V...

I have a 220V pool pump connected to a receptacle(L520RCCV3 twist lock) that supports 220V. I want to put a switch right above the receptacle using 1/2" SCH 40 conduit. The wires coming to the receptacle from the breaker panel are white, black and green. I know the black goes to the brass screw on the receptacle, the white to the silver screw and the green ground wire to the green screw. How do I connect the on/off switch to the receptacle? I have 12 gauge Romex cable to hook up the switch.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just started the project.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a Hubbell Taymac weather cover for the receptacle and a Hubbell Taymac plastic toggle cover for the switch.

9/14/2017
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome.

Remove the black from the outlet, lengthen it by adding black wire with a wire nut to reach one side of your switch (it does not matter which terminal on the switch this wire connects to).

With another length of black wire, connect it to the other terminal on your switch then connect the other end of this wire to the terminal on your outlet that you removed the black wire from.

Add a ground wire to the switch and test that it works.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ok, I wired as instructed, but before I test it, I have a question about the ground wire on the switch. Where does the other end of the ground get connected? To the green ground on the receptacle?

Yes, connect the ground wire to the switch to the ground in the outlet.

Simplest method is the disconnect the ground from the outlet add a 6-inch pigtail and the wire going up to the switch to the existing ground all under one wire nut. So, you would have three ground wires under one wire nut - the ground coming in the 6 in pigtail that you will then connect the other end of to the outlet and the wire going up to the switch.

Please let me know if you have any other questions thank you

ProGrade
ProGrade
ProGrade