Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I was wondering I have a welding machine and it says it's

Customer Question

Hi I was wondering I have a welding machine and it says it's 230 volts and 47.5 amperes I was wanting to know what size breaker and wire to use and is it ok to use my dryer outlet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have been using my dryer outlet and it seems good but I am not sure if this is right or not
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

If the amp rating on the welder is 47.5 amp then the dryer would be short on power as dryer circuits are 30amp. A range circuit is normally 50 amps and you would be covered.

That said, you need to check the specs on the welder to see what circuit capacity they recommend. 47.5 amp is an odd number for a spec and you may be reading the wrong spec.

Who make the welder?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Boc boc gas it's the same as the miller welding machine on the front of the machine it says 225/150
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I call you tomorrow morning

I can pick up on your question tomorrow evening.

I would like the model number off the welder so I can do some research on the power requirements for you.

Don

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank I will get the info for you tomorrow thank again

ok