Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I was wondering I have a welding machine and it says it's…

Customer Question
Hi I was wondering...

Hi I was wondering I have a welding machine and it says it's 230 volts and 47.5 amperes I was wanting to know what size breaker and wire to use and is it ok to use my dryer outlet

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have been using my dryer outlet and it seems good but I am not sure if this is right or not

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/14/2017
Electrician: ApplianceTech, Home Improvement Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Home Improvement Enthusiast

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

If the amp rating on the welder is 47.5 amp then the dryer would be short on power as dryer circuits are 30amp. A range circuit is normally 50 amps and you would be covered.

That said, you need to check the specs on the welder to see what circuit capacity they recommend. 47.5 amp is an odd number for a spec and you may be reading the wrong spec.

Who make the welder?

Boc boc gas it's the same as the miller welding machine on the front of the machine it says 225/150
Can I call you tomorrow morning

I can pick up on your question tomorrow evening.

I would like the model number off the welder so I can do some research on the power requirements for you.

Don

Ok thank I will get the info for you tomorrow thank again

ok