Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

This is my 1st time here. I was reading all the questions…

This is my 1st time...
This is my 1st time here. I was reading all the questions and answers. Very informative. My question is that my chain to my light on my ceiling fan won't work anymore. I remember replacing one years ago and it was pretty simple so I picked one up at HD. My light simply turns on with one pull and off with the 2nd pull but the replacement I bought has 3 wires. Can't I use the wires marked (1) and the one marked (2) together and the One marked (L) as the other? It seems simple enough.l
9/13/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

You can use that switch but it will have two pulls that won't do anything. Connect hot wire to L and the wire to the light to one of the others. The two remaining need to be capped

Bare with me. I'm veey limited in the electricity dept. I've installed a couple of ceiling fans and changed a lot of ugly outlets. O.k. The replacement switch I bought has 3 wires and my broken pull chain switch has 2 black wires cuz it's 1 pull to turn on and 1 pull to turn off. On the back of the new switch the blackk wire is labelled (L), the red wire has (1) and blue has (2). Can I join the red (1) and blue (2) together and connect the switch as if it were just two wires?
No, just cap one of the wires.
Definitely can't do the phone call right now. That sounds like a solution to me. I'm going to do it now. You must get some real doozies in this type of venue. I hope I can let you know how I did.
Very good, you'll be OK.
Thank you Mike G. I will figure out how to let you know that we did it. I'm very confident.
Anytime, you're welcome. You can post another message to let me know.
55357;�
All done. Capped off one of the wires like you said and connected it as if the 3rd wire wasn't there. Got all the bulbs and globes screwed in and put the tools away. Thank you again. Electricity makes me nervous. I have a few more problems so I'll be in touch soon. Thanks again. Deb/***@******.***
Glad to help. Please don't forget to rate me.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Going now!!