Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a well pump wired into a 240v/20a circuit breaker. C/

I have a well...

I have a well pump wired into a 240v/20a circuit breaker. C/B has white wire, black wire, ground wire. Pressure switch on well pump has same...black, white. ground. Output from pressure switch to pump is Red/Black/Green. Power here in Florida is off and will be for quite some time. Have generator with L14-20 output. Have L14-20 male plug and 12/3 Romex wire. Will dedicate generator to powering pump. Would like to remove input black/white/ground wires from pressure switch and make short cord to go from generator to connections on pressure switch. Need to know how to wire the L14-20 male plug.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Irrelevent

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

9/12/2017
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome.

Please let me look at your question...I will return.

Thank you

The L14-30 can be used by wiring your cord to the X & Y terminals (240 V) then use the ground terminal. In other words, do not use the neutral terminal on you connection which is the silver colored screw.

Please let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Here's a link to a picture of the connector:

https://goo.gl/images/0U7We6

How far down the state are you?

L14-20 Plug on Generator. not -30Outside of Gainesville
Just confused with 3 wires to hook up and 4 prongs to hook 'em to.

My apologies, pls see this link, same general idea::

https://goo.gl/images/IsWR4j

Widespread outages here outside of Tallahassee too, but I'm sure it's much worse down there.

Hope the best for you.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thank you

Then my question is answered, thank you very much!We're in the middle of the state should have been safe, but the eye missed us by about 20 miles (Florahome if you want to look it up). Biggest problem is 4 ft of water between us and the highway...about mile. We have 2 electrical services, one to garage (well pump) and one to house (everything else). Got gen for house, but will use spare to get the water back on as Clay Electric says a week or more without power. Thanks for your help!

Glad to help, hope you have water soon, I'm here if you need anything.

Good luck.

Thank you

ProGrade

Thank you very much for the excellent rating and the bonus, both very much appreciated.

You got me out of a spot, and promptly! Wife is having a fit 'cause she can't take a shower!

Hey, anything to keep Momma happy...Happy Wife = Happy Life