Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Difficulty installing a 7500 portable generator to a

Customer Question
Difficulty installing a 7500...

Difficulty installing a 7500 portable generator to a residential home who usis2200kwh per month

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just bough a 7500 gen today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Cost design aux equp

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/12/2017
Electrician: Terry Peterman, Electrician replied 11 months ago
Terry Peterman
Terry Peterman, Electrician

Hello, thanks for using Just Answer. This is Terry here.

Are you asking how to safely connect this generator to you home?

How to connect a3.5 ton Ac house lights fange refig. Tv s

You have 3 options. You can either install a transfer switch ahead of your main service entrance, or you can install a transfer switch sub-panel. The third option, and the least expensive one is to run extension cords to your essential loads (some lighting, refrigeration, some heating or cooling, etc. A 7500 is a good size to power most of your necessities in the event of an outage.

Which of these options would be the best for you and we can explain further.

Give me cost for 1 and 2

That would be very difficult to estimate. It would require a licensed contractor from your particular area to come and asses your situation to see what's involved with the labor portion, and then make a material list. I have been out of the contracting game since 2008 so am out of touch with today's estimates. Neither of those options are cheap though, likely in the neighborhood of $1000, give or take but again, I don't want to throw out any numbers. I can tell you that you must have a transfer switch or panel installed to safely tie this in to your system. Anything less than that can be extremely dangerous as power can be inadvertently fed back into the utility grid causing serious problems including injury and possible death to someone that might be working on the grid to repair the problem that caused the outage.

Does this information I provided answer your question today? If not I will opt out and see if another expert might be able to give you more specific advice as to costs.

If I was of any help in answering your question, I would appreciate a 5-star rating as we don't get compensation unless we receive a positive review. If I didn't meet your expectations, then let me know and I will opt out and see if another expert can assist. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 11 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The most economical way to install the means of connecting the generator is with a power inlet and Interlock assembly. You'll need a 2 pole 30A breaker mounted in your service panel, with an interlock to prevent the main breaker and the 30A generator breaker from both being on at the same time. The power inlet wired to the generator breaker will accept the female end of a cord to the generator. See the link below. Cost of installation depends on the length of the wiring between the panel and the inlet. Most likely $250.00 minimum.

http://interlockkits.com