Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to replace a Defiant adjusting wall digital

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to replace a Defiant adjusting wall digital timer that I bought years ago with a new one that looks very different on the back side.This is a three way switch The old switch has all wires Blue, Green,Red, Black and white coming out of the back of the switch. The newer times has five screw terminals marked ground,line neutral traveler and load.the package also came with two 6" long white wires in the package. I am not an electrician but the instructions were very difficult to understand. Can you tell me were to connect the different colored wires coming from the inside of the socket.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Four hours

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/11/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Please give me the model number on the new switch.

1002 229 532 is what it say at rhe very top of the package

Connect as follows.

1. Black to Line
  2. Red to traveler
  3. White to neutral
  4. Blue to Load
  5. Green to ground
done. should i turn power on now?
Turn it on.
switch is on but outside lights don't go on.
Is there a photo cell on the light fixture?
but, it should go on when i press the button on the digital timer.
The photo cell overrides the timer. To by bypass it the switch needs to be turned on and off twice quickly
no lights when i do that

Do it at the 3 way switch. On, off, on.

i did that as well.no lights.
there are two black wires coming from the wall. One is black and the other hooks to a blue wire which you told me to plug into the load on the swutch

The blue wire is the wire to the light and the black connected to it is to the light. The other black should be the hot Line wire. You'll need a 2 wire voltage tester to verify the wires.

i have a voltage tester where do i put the black and red wire?

Put one on the black wire and the other to the ground. The black that shows voltage is the hot. Then test the hot wire to the white to verify the neutral.

I have to go to a Dr.s appointment but will be back this after noon. How can we continue this session? I did get voltage from the black wire and ground.Do I call back(###) ###-####when i return?
Just let me know when you're ready to continue.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician