Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I'm rep;acing the garage door senors.Their are two separate

Customer Question
I'm rep;acing the garage door...
I'm rep;acing the garage door senors.Their are two separate lines coming from the garage. Both have gray insulation and inside has four colored lines white, blue, blue/white and red. The sensor package instruction says to connect the white with white and the black/ whit with black white.but there is no match coming from the garage. can you tell me what I should connect.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: This is the first time I tried to connect the sensors. The old sensors stopped working about 6 months ago. I've been closing the garage by holding the button to open the door.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes unless it is difficult.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/10/2017
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 2 months ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome.

The old sendors were 4-wire, the new ones you bought seem to be 2-wire & not compatible with your opener. You need 4-wire sensors.

The sensors I'm replacing were identical to the ones that were attached. Maybe the prior owner replaced the original. however it was working fine for a few years.
That's ok, cancel my request I'll hire an electrician to repair it.

That's a plus then. The way I understood you were changing the sensor type.

Since you are not changing the sensors...if you will wire the new devices using the same wires & locations that were used for the old sensors, they should work...they do not know what color wire is connected to them only that they have proper voltage at terminals.

That's always good after you get the info you need...

Electrician: Leamon Rollo, Electrician replied 2 months ago
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo, Electrician
Phone call session started

Good evening. Tried calling you but got a message. Did you get your question answered?

If you did not I would like to take a stab at helping you. If you could give me the brand and model number of the old and new sensors I think I may can help you retro fit the new ones. Ill hang out here a few minutes to see if you want to try.

Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo, Electrician