Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Experience:  Maintenance Electrician, Electrical Contractor, Locomotive Electrician
16916066

I'm installing a new ceiling fan that has a remote, my house

Customer Question

Hi, I'm installing a new ceiling fan that has a remote, my house was built in the 50's and it only has a neutral and power cables coming from the box. I can't seem to figure out how to wire the remote box and control the light and the fan.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Been working on it for 20 minutes and I can't figure it out.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

Hi, are you talking about the ceiling box where you are wiring the fan in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

What color wires and how many of each in the box and what do you have from the fan connection?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have two cables coming from the ceiling, on the remote I have a yellow and a blue on one side and a black and white one on the other
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
From the fan I have a blue a black and a white cable
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

Ok, the black and white from the remote receiver will be wired to the power wires at the ceiling box. Then from the remote receiver to the fan connect blue to blue, yellow to black, and the white will go with the white connection at the ceiling box

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I have everything connected as you described, I will go ahead and turn the power back on and see if it works.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no power on the fan.
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

ok, here is shot from the installation manual. Double check your connections using this picture.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea, that's exactly how I have them connected
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

and the wall switch is on and the remote has batteries?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
switch is on and remote has brand new batteries
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

Have you checked your circuit breaker to make sure it isn't off or tripped?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
everything looks ok
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

DO you have a voltage tester or meter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I don't
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

Can you take a close up picture of the wiring and post it here so I can double check it for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, here is what I got
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

It looks like you only have 2 white wires together. All 3 white wires should be together under one wire nut.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have from receiver yellow to black on the fan, blue to blue to the fan. I have all 3 whites together and the black from receiver to the black on the ceiling.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Braker is on light switch is on, no power on fan
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

ok, double check connections. The end of a stranded wire should be up past the end of a solid wire about 1/8" or a little more when holding them together to twist the wire nut on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All ends are connected as you suggested, I'm still not getting power. If I eliminate the receiver and connect the fan directly the light and the fan turn on. Is it common for the receiver to be bad?
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

Is it a new fan and receiver?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
brand new
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

You could try pairing the remote with the receiver. It should have come paired but occasionally it could become unpaired. Try this:

Within 3 minutes of restoring power to the fan, press both the Fan Off button and the High button for at least 4 seconds. Your fan will turn on low to indicate successful syncing. If it does not, turn off power to your fan, wait 1 minute then try again. If using the transmitter with multiple fans, repeat this process for each fan.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know, I think at this point I'm just going to return it and get a simple fan that's not this complicated, thank you.
Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

Ok. It's a quick test. But if you're sure you want to throw in the towel, be sure and rate me before logging off

Expert:  Sam I replied 1 month ago.

Good luck