Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Wiring a gfci outlet in kitchen (had old normal outlet) and…

Wiring a gfci outlet...

Wiring a gfci outlet in kitchen (had old normal outlet) and have disposal and over sink light in same box. Power comes into outlet. There are also 3 other lines leaving to other outlets in kitchen. Want to make sure I wire correctly

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

30 years. No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Switch to light only has one side of line and load. Other switch has line and load on both sides.

9/10/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The GFCI outlet has Line and Load connections. The power pair wires should connect to the Line along with the hot and neutral for the lights. The disposal can connect to the Load terminals. The device will accept 2 wires per termination. If more than 2, connect together with a jumper wire to the termination.

Can you provide a diagram?

I can but it will be sometime later when I'm on my PC.

Ok please. Thanks

Very good.

Thank you.

Anytime, you're welcome. Please don't forget to rate the answer.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician