Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Electrical question. Is it code compliant to protect 12/2

Customer Question

Electrical question. Is it code compliant to protect 12/2 Romex wire with 1/2" flexible aluminum conduit? I've attached a screenshot of the product I want to use.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

You would be better off to just install a 12/2 MC cable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But the Romex is already there but it's fastened to the wall so I want to simply disconnect it and slide the conduit over it and then re-connect it to the junction boxes with proper connectors. Is that code compliant?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.
Flex is only approved in lengths not exceeding 6ft. You would need EMT conduit.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That 6 foot rule is interesting. Do you know why that is the rule? I think most of my runs are less than 6 feet so it sounds like I am code compliant right?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

If less than 6 ft, you can use it to protect NM cable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/31149/can-romex-nm-b-be-run-through-conduitHere is a link I'm sure you will find interesting. It's explains a lot.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.
Code is what ever the electrical inspector allows. Authority Having Jurisdiction.