Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My generator cord has a different prong configuration than…

My generator cord has...

My generator cord has a different prong configuration than the power inlet box that we had installed. The electrician installed the Reliance Portable Generator Power Transfer Kit (Model 3006HDK) and configured the switches to the items we chose like the microwave, refrigerator, etc. The power cord that fits to the outlet is a Reliance Model # PC3010 but the other end isn't compatible with the generator power cord, so I purchased a Pass & Seymour 30 Amp Turnlok Connector (NEMA L14-30R). The 4 prong fits in one end so I purchased a "Furrion Pigtail Adapter 30 Amp RV Plug to stripped blank end" that could be wired into the other end which will allow me to plug into my generator's power cord. The Pigtail adapter has only 3 wires (Black, Green & White) but the Turnlok Connector is for 4 wires (Black, Red, Green & White). Can I still use it? I know that the Green wire is the ground wire, White is the neutral wire and Black is the power (hot conductor). I think it will work just fine without the Red wire, but I'm not 100% sure and as a self-taught fix woman I'd rather not blow up my home or the Yamaha EF2000iS Inverter Portable Generators my husband bought a couple years ago that haven't been opened since he wasn't sure how to get this last step done. Hurricane Irma is coming our way not as bad as some areas but I'd prefer to be prepared just in case. Would you please let me know how to get power to the generator?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Well, we've had all the equipment husband just wasn't sure how to get power to the generator since they have different prong configurations.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I've changed out electrical outlets, installed dimmer switches, and replaced light fixtures and ceiling fans.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

The electrician installed the power transfer panel with the kit I mentioned earlier.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All I need to do is get a cord with the correct prong configuration to hook it up, so I can follow the directions to use it.

9/9/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hi, I'd be glad to take a look at your setup. Let me review wheat you've posted and get back with you momentarily

I'm trying to locate a manual for your generator to see if that will be ok by the manufacturer

I've attached the manual.
Online is just fine.

Thanks I also found your unit manual and it doesn't appear to accept a 30 amp RV plug. It

looks like it has only one household standard 20 amp receptacle

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
George Smith
Phone call session started

Where were you going to plug in a 30 amp RV receptacle? I'm confused