Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I lost power to half of my house. Some but not all outlets.

Customer Question

I lost power to half of my house. Some but not all outlets. AC,dryer no power. Flipped all breakers of n on. Checked all GFI outlets,only one doesnt have power. Checked breakers with pen light ,all have power. Im out of ideas
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Couple hours
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well yes if it something small. Im a union plumber so i have a little electrical knowledge
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: 25 yrs and not yet
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing changed before it went off. Didnt plug anything in new,turn on anything big
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Your description indicates the you lost one leg of the service. It could be the main breaker or a failed connection ahead of the main. You'll need a 2 wire voltage tester to pin point exactly where.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where do i start
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

With the tester, put one probe on each termination where the service wire is connected. Then test each to the neutral bar. First reading should be 240V and the next 2 should be 120V each. Let me know the readings.