Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Kitchen Breaker keeps tripping, my husband used to do

Customer Question

Kitchen Breaker keeps tripping, my husband used to do facilities maintenance in the residential industry and suspects they need to each be on a separate breaker...not sure of their wattage or anything like that. I am a first time homeowner. What kind of repair is this and what should I expect to pay?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  George Smith replied 1 month ago.
Hi this is George. Do you have access to a amp probe
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Unplug all cord & plug connected loads from the receptacles. Does the breaker still trip?

2) How many kitchen circuits? Is the microwave and/or fridge also plugged into the same circuit receptacles where the breaker is tripping?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we have an over range microwave and gas range on the same breaker. We unplugged the microwave as it was easiest to get to, tried resetting the breaker and it immediately tripped.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My husband has a circuit tester, not sure if that can help right now...
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) So when you unplugged the microwave, were there any other small appliances plugged into other receptacles on the same circuit breaker?

2) How many amps is the breaker? a 20 amp or a 15 amp breaker?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kevin,
1. No.
2. The breaker is 20 amps
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

OK, you can try a few things as shown below

1) Locate another known working 20 amp breaker and "relocate" the hot wire from the existing breaker over to another 20 amp breaker and see if the trouble follows or goes away.

2) If the trouble follows, then you will need a continuity tester to check the existing wiring for a short circuit.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Any other questions?